Re: Source for statistics on the technical writing field

Subject: Re: Source for statistics on the technical writing field
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2009 16:45:52 -0700

I think some of the people you described earlier probably will make some
kind of transition eventually, IF designers have the smarts to provide
computer-based tools in forms that are acceptable to the way they want
to work. The printshop people could end up with some sort of
pen/touch-based screen that looks and feels like writing on a
whiteboard, and the doctors may take a liking to tablets that mimic
prescription pads and lab order forms but send data wirelessly to
pharmacies and other services. The key is that the technology must adapt
to the typical user and not expect everybody to do things the other way
around if you want to have a user base that goes beyond the tech
early-adopters who can't wait to get their hands on "the next big
thing."

Gene Kim-Eng