Re: Salary at a State University

Subject: Re: Salary at a State University
From: Kaye Adkins <kadkinsphd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 12:16:01 -0500

What kind of position is this for? Is this for a staff position (in which
case you would need to know if it is for classified or unclassified staff,
what others at the same classification, or administrative level make, and so
on. For a public university, this information is public, although it may
take some digging to find out).

If this is for a teaching position, the salary is good for a tenure-track
Associate Professor, very good for a tenure-track Assistant Professor, and
excellent for a non-tenure-track instructor.

About wiggle room--there is generally a small range, but it is often tied
directly to your teaching or professional experience. You might have some
room to negotiate for money for a computer, software, books, or other
supplies for your office. Budgets at state universities have no connection
to enrollment. Budgets come from state legislatures, and these days,
universities are being asked to cut budgets by 20% or more; faculty and
staff (like many state employees) are being asked to take
furloughs--basically work for free--for a certain number of days a month.

I know many faculty who would consider this a well-paying position.

Kaye Adkins
Associate Professor of English/Technical Communication
Missouri Western State University