RE: Minimalism since 2000

Subject: RE: Minimalism since 2000
From: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff2 -at- Teradata -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:29:41 -0400

Google Books, yes; Google Scholar, no. Very nice. Thank you again, Robert.

Yes, I knew somebody was going to tweak me about that Google reference. :) I had even written a pre-emptive comment into my original response, then took it out because the note was already too weighty. But I was basically going to say that Google would have helped me find John M. Carroll's publications page that you posted in your original response, if I'd bothered to look!

So make it clear: I'm in no way maligning Google as a research tool, and in fact obviously it's a very powerful one. I've made fantastic use of Google Books, and I especially like the fact that you can find full, scanned versions (in PDF) of old books for which the copyright has gone into the public domain. That's an incredible research source. Now I'll make use of Google Scholar.

Thanks again.

Oh, and I got the response from Laura Lemay. I dispute the notion that these are old ideas that are well entrenched in the tech writing community. I've been in the field for 25 years, and I work with a number of people who have just as many years in as I do, and I'm amazed at how few of my colleagues know of minimalism or use its principles. And if indeed it's so entrenched, then why is the one workshop on it so very popular these days? According to the group that presents it, it's their most popular workshop of all. That's the one I was talking about as being reviewed on Techwr-l back in late 2002.

Anyway... back to work or this day will be minimally productive.

Thanks again, Robert. You're a fantastic source of help, and I really appreciate it.

Best wishes,

Steve