Font sizes for different text elements

Subject: Font sizes for different text elements
From: "Karen Field Carroll" <kfcarroll -at- cox -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:02:44 -0700

Hello.

Thought some of you tech-writing brainiacs might have an answer for this.

In my printed documentation, I use Garamond 12 pt. for text, and Arial 12
oe 14 pt. for headings (depending on how major the heading). All elements
beyond the actual body text of the document are Arial. My question is, how
big should the Arial text be for figure captions? Right now I'm using Arial
10 pt but it looks huge in the midst of the Garamond 12 pt body text.

Thanks.
Karen