Outlook hosed, pondering next step

Subject: Outlook hosed, pondering next step
From: "jopakent" <jopakent -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 08:24:53 -0700

(Office 2003, Win XP Pro)

I've been accumulating history in my Outlook folders for several years now.
Sent mail, Project Folders, even deleted mail has all been gradually
expanding over time.

So if a client (or an ex-wife) has a question about a communication we had
back in 06, I've been able to quickly bring the email up for reference. I'm
concerned right now because Outlook seems locked up. Every time I try to
delete anything or send anything, I get an error message something along the
lines of

"There was a problem in the messaging service, if this problem persists,
please restart Outlook."

I've tried restarting both Outlook and the computer, but the symptom
persists.

One solution I have in mind is to finally pull the trigger on Office 2007.
I've got a copy all ready to install and now that vacations are done and
I've got my freezer full of humpies, I'll probably have time to do it this
weekend. My concern is that I don't want to loose all of that history. I'm
afraid that my existing file (*.PST?) is hosed and that when I do the
install, Outlook will either ignore it, or make a hash out of it.

The only other thot I have right now is a vague recollection of a "repair"
tool that I think is a menu option somewhere. I'll try that tonight and see
if there is any joy. Any other ideas, please respond directly as I am on
digest.

Regards,

J. Paul Kent

206-383-0539