Re: A little respect for "unvalidated"

Subject: Re: A little respect for "unvalidated"
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 07:36:19 -0500

Within a quality assurance process this definition is perfectly
understandable and is correct usage. Checking code to ensure it meets
the standard, either for coding language or to the specification can
produce either invalid code, or unvalid code. In the first instance, if
it doesn't meet the DTD the code is invalid. In the second instance QA
can reject it as unvalidated by the specification. So you can have valid
written code that is unvalid according to the specification.

Scott

Gene Kim-Eng wrote:
> "Unvalidated" = not proven to be accurate or true. "Invalidated" = proven to
> be inaccurate or untrue.
>
> "Unvalidated" means your product or data has not successfully completed the
> process that verifies or "validates" it. This can mean you haven't
> submitted it to the process yet, haven't completed the process yet, or have
> failed it (in the eyes of the regulators, failing is the same as not being
> tested, because validation is a go/no-go decision). You haven't passed yet;
> try again when you think you've got the problem fixed.
>
> "Invalidated," OTOH, means that at one point you were considered "validated"
> and that validation has been withdrawn. The regulating agency's process of
> verification through testing and data collection, or worse, your actions in
> attempting to pass that process, is now suspect. This can mean you will not
> be able to retest a revised product until the regulating agency has
> conducted a thorough review of its own processes and procedures and made any
> necessary revisions (massive delay in product release schedules for every
> company in the industry), or the auditors will be coming next Tuesday to
> turn your entire process upside down and shake it for flaws and/or
> corruption and every product you've successfully validated in the past may
> be subject to review. Your company's stock loses 90% of its value overnight
> and "60 Minutes" may have a camera crew waiting for your CEO next time
> he/she heads for the office.
>
> Not confusing at all.
>
> Gene Kim-Eng

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.