Re: How to become a UI design expert? Fast!

Subject: Re: How to become a UI design expert? Fast!
From: jennysubs -at- mac -dot- com
To: Leisa Ashbaugh <leisa -dot- ashbaugh -at- aisystems -dot- org>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:26:18 -0700

A lot of the resources listed so far are for usability, which is quite
different than interaction design or UI design.

I'd start with the Apple Human Interface Guidelines. It explains the
process of design as well as offering guidelines for using specific
screen elements.

http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/XHIGIntro/XHIGIntro.html

If you can get the company to spring for a graphic designer to do
icons and logos, that will put some polish on your design.

Read up on paper prototyping. You can learn a lot that way and it
doesn't cost much.

http://www.paperprototyping.com/

Find applications that you like and copy elements from them.

And my final bit of advice...I often run into engineers who say "Well,
that's the way Microsoft does it, so it must be right." I try to
avoid using Microsoft as an example for anything.

Jenny