How to find/hire technical communicators in Shenzen, China?

Subject: How to find/hire technical communicators in Shenzen, China?
From: Sarah Lee Hauslinger <slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:23:27 -0700

The company for which I work has an office in Shenzen, China. We are looking
to hire some (English-proficient) junior/entry-level technical communicators
to work in our offices over there. They will be supporting the efforts of
our techpubs staff here in the US, mostly doing production
editing/monitoring tasks. Here are a couple of questions for which I am
seeking answers:

- Which universities in the People's Republic of China have degree programs
in Technical Communication? What are the titles/levels of degrees offered?
What kind of training do the students receive--software skills, writing
skills, and so on?

- Where/how can we post job openings for the local area?

- What other resources are available in the area (or throughout the PRC) for
recruiting technical communicators?

Just as an FYI, I've been trying to get additional headcount approved here
in the US, but upper management refuses to make the investment. Although I
really don't think hiring in China is the best option, it's all they are
willing to provide. I'm fully aware that the quality of the output very
likely won't be as high, and also very clear on the issues regarding
managing staff on the other side of the globe (with a language barrier to
boot). So, please understand that I'm not looking for advice or commentary
on anything other than what I've outlined in the questions above.

Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to supply, everyone.

--
Sarah Lee Hauslinger
slhauslinger -at- gmail -dot- com

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.