Re: Screen captures in multiple lanaguages or just in English? was, "RE: Examples of Minimalist Writing"

Subject: Re: Screen captures in multiple lanaguages or just in English? was, "RE: Examples of Minimalist Writing"
From: beelia <beelia -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 14:27:57 -0700

The approach in my company is to leave all technical terms in English, and
translate everything else. But we have large applications that are installed
on special hardware, so even using that approach is going to pose some big
challenges - we're not going to be shipping those machines to Ireland, or
anywhere else the translators are located, so they will essentially be
working from the property files. Including screenshots and buttons/icons in
the documentation could be especially useful under those circumstances, but
is also problematic.

I'm thinking maximizing usability for English speakers by including
drop-down screenshots in the English version of my Flare project, then
stripping out all those screenshots en masse with a VI editor by keying on
the drop-down source code for all the non-English projects before taking
them to Lingo. Hopefully, that would be helpful but non-essential
information for the English users, and would avoid (cringe) the problem for
non-English speakers.

But if I screw up, and the screenshots have essential instead of
supplementary information in the translated projects, users might perceive
that some information is missing. And because I don't speak the language, I
couldn't proofread the result.

It's a very slippery slope - I'm not sure if I should even try it. It's
probably not very sensitive to global users anyway.

But this discussion is really helpful. I can foresee some major potholes,
and by kicking it around with you guys, get some ideas on how to avoid them.

Bee