Re: Punctuation lists- an exhaustive scenarios list

Subject: Re: Punctuation lists- an exhaustive scenarios list
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:57:42 -0400

Pinkham, Jim wrote in answer to Rob Hudson's question:
> There's probably more than one feasible answer to this.

One feasible answer is to cut back drastically on the use of bulleted
lists. They are probably overused, and in my estimation should never
appear within other lists--bulleted, enumerated, or any other sort.

When a document consists of a plethora of bulleted lists, it is probable
that the technical writer has failed to do some much-needed work.
Perhaps no technical writer has yet been allowed to touch it.

When one's mind is fidgiting over how to punctuate a bulleted list, one
just might be receiving a sign that the structure of the document is
faulty. Perhaps its entire purpose is misunderstood.

Rob, I'm sorry if my salvo entirely misses your target, but that's the
way I see things. I hope that I'm occasionally able to write up to the
standard I'm setting forth.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.