RE: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?

Subject: RE: Guide to Visio for FrameMaker users?
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:33:51 -0600

Robert Lauriston wrote:

> Is there a whole palette / stencil of dumb objects that will stay
> where you put them? I've looked for one many times.

I've never seen one of those. The Drawing toolbar has basic shapes --
rectangle, circle, straight line, etc. -- with relatively little
"smarts." And you can turn off most of the smarts. See Format > Behavior
for starters (also File > Page Setup and Tools > Snap and Glue for
behaviors that affect the whole drawing).

Guy, if you don't see the Drawing toolbar, right-click somewhere in the
toolbar area and select it from the lengthy list of toolbars available.

You could create a new stencil, and create the "masters" to put in it
(that's what Visio calls the objects in a stencil; you create instances
of a master by dragging it into your drawing). Set the masters up with
the degree of "dumbness" you want, and then all instances of them will
inherit that.

But really, this is struggling to make Visio stop doing the things it's
designed to do and does well.

It would be better to take a step back and see if, instead of
re-creating the drawings in exactly the same way you created them in FM,
you can figure out a way that works _with_ Visio instead of fighting it.

Guy, I think you said something earlier about not having stencils. I
have Visio 2003 Standard installed, and I believe I have only the
stencils it came with, plus a few freebies I've picked up (shapes for my
company's products, plus shapes for some equipment from other vendors).
When I select File > Shapes, I see about a dozen folders/collections,
most of which contain at least 6-8 stencils, ranging from generic to
very specialized. If you don't see something similar, maybe not all of
the available stencils were installed.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs