Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs

Subject: Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs
From: voxwoman <voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:38:34 -0400

I will have to show this to the engineers where I work; we will all get a
laugh out of this.

But you make a really good point, Dossy. I would also add "pediatric
oncologist" to the top of the list - I know of several who had to find other
work because they couldn't continue to tell parents that their children were
dying and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

-Wendy

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM, Dossy Shiobara <dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com> wrote:

> On 10/15/09 1:28 PM, Julie Stickler wrote:
> > I always thought that deadline pressures
> > equalled stress. But what do I know?
>
> While deadline pressures may be stressful, I think the comparison is on
> a continuum that includes jobs such as "Air Traffic Controller",
> "Alaskan Crab Fisherman" and "Trauma Surgeon" ... where mistakes usually
> mean people die, vs. a deadline slippage or errata sheet.
>
> --
> Dossy Shiobara | dossy -at- panoptic -dot- com | http://dossy.org/
> Panoptic Computer Network | http://panoptic.com/
> "He realized the fastest way to change is to laugh at your own
> folly -- then you can let go and quickly move on." (p. 70)
>
> Free Software Documentation Project Web Cast: Covers developing Table of
> Contents, Context IDs, and Index, as well as Doc-To-Help
> 2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.
> http://www.doctohelp.com/SuperPages/Webcasts/
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as voxwoman -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/voxwoman%40gmail.com

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.

Re: #5 on the list of Low Stress Jobs: From: Dossy Shiobara