RE: Click X, or click the X button?

Subject: RE: Click X, or click the X button?
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp128 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, SteveJanoff <Steve -dot- Janoff2 -at- Teradata -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 06:33:07 -0700 (PDT)

Love the coffee-machine analogy!

We might be able to get to the "why" of software if we had access to use cases. Some companies do them, but they seldom filter down to tech writers. Further, some of the companies that do use cases don't do them well, mmore's the pity.

I've been researching Agile documentation, and one of the tenets is that developers (and presumably marketers) sit down early in the process with CUSTOMERS to develop brief "user stories." These are brief use cases--they have to fit on the equivalent of a 3" x 5" card--each of which says what a real-world user wants the software to do...AND...lists the acceptance criteria; that is, how will they know that the software actually does meet the request. And writers do have access to these user stories.

Interesting, eh!

Marguerite