Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)

Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention ( was TECHWR-L Digest, Vol 48, Issue 27)
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 11:58:42 -0800

I agree that a good technical writer should think that way. It's not
either/or: that's one of the places where our work overlaps to some
extent with marketing.

I said that in response to Keith Hood, who seems to be arguing against
it. That's a substantive issue, not semantics:

"... it seemed to me your thinking about the users was more closely
related than mine to the way in which a marketing person would think
about the users. Your second question was, "For what purposes are they
buying and using the product?" That's broader in scope than the kind
of questions I ask, and seemed to indicate thinking about how the
users see the item fitting into their business. That way of
considering user concerns about the item isn't related strictly to the
technical aspects of the item. When I think about why users may want
the item, I tend to consider it more as a matter of tool use. I think
my way of looking at user needs and concerns is more tightly focused,
that's all. And please remember that I'm talking here only about doing
procedural documentation. For reference materials, or for documents
that are more business related, like requirements or white papers, my
approach to deciding what to put in the docs would look more like what
you and Paul wrote. ..."

http://www.doctohelp.com/