Re: Doc Design and Convention - to address Gene's take on this

Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention - to address Gene's take on this
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 14:37:22 -0800

At the beginning of the process, the questions I ask about the product
are not about how it works, they're about who the intended users are.

If there no use cases and no vision of a market for the product ...
I'd be polishing my resume. I did see some of that during the dot-com
era, in which cases I had to put on my project management hat and
develop that information.

I said, "Who the users are and what they need to know." They don't
need to know about useless features. And I don't know which features
are useless until I know who the users are. Of course I have to
document the useless features, so that the developers won't complain,
but there's an art to steering readers away from that sort of thing.

http://www.doctohelp.com/