Re: Can we start a sentence with "or" or "and" in a manual

Subject: Re: Can we start a sentence with "or" or "and" in a manual
From: David Farbey <dfarbey -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:59:59 +0000

Please do not start a sentence with "and" or "or" in a manual or any other
kind of formal business writing. It would be ungrammatical, and may confuse
your readers, particularly if they do not speak English as their first
language. (It may also annoy some of your readers who do speak English as
their first language.)

Technical writers have a range of options for listing multiple items,
including numbered or bulleted lists, tables, and properly constructed
running text. You should never even need to consider starting a sentence
with "and" or "or".

David

--
David Farbey - david -at- farbey -dot- co -dot- uk
Mobile 07879 005 946

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/