Re: Twitter

Subject: Re: Twitter
From: Char James-Tanny <charjtf -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 13:21:54 -0500

> The 0.1% that's actual communication is still a huge amount, but when
> I browse Twitter, I see a lot of feeds that don't look like anyone's
> reading them, and lots of feeds that are so bloated that it's hard to
> believe anyone has the time to sort them out. Lots of marketing people
> posting 100-200 times a day about whatever they're flogging.

So far this morning, I've read blog posts on Help authoring tools and
content from Tom Johnson, Scriptorium, and DMN Communications; I've
discovered http://www.conflicthistory.com (a Google Map mashup showing
a "timeline of war and conflict across the globe"); learned about
http://www.i95travelinfo.net, (the I95 Corridor (US East Coast)
real-time Travel site); read about accessibility; read Danah Boyd's
comments on her Web 2.0 speech last week (and Twitter as a
backchannel). And I've learned that Mythbusters is new again tonight
and Kari will be live-tweeting the episode ;-)

I don't follow marketing people, so I don't see a bunch of annoying
tweets. I don't follow spammers, so I don't see a bunch of spam. And I
use TweetDeck to filter my tweets into "read now" and "read when I
have time"...IOW, one column for people whose tweets I don't want to
miss and one for everyone I follow. (When I'm really busy, I just skip
them all. When I have free time, I read them all.) I also use
TweetDeck to filter all tweets related to techcomm, STC, and near
field communication (three different columns, in case anyone was
curious :-) ).

I don't care if I'm the only person reading someone's tweets, as long
as I'm interested in whatever it is they're saying. That's the thing
about Twitter...if you think someone's twitstream is bloated and
uninteresting, don't read it. It all comes down to what's important to
you.

Char James-Tanny ~ JTF Associates, Inc. ~ http://www.helpstuff.com
Please send follow-up questions to the list. (Inquiries sent off-list
may not be seen.)
Contact me directly (CharJT at helpstuff dot com) with business inquiries.
Microsoft Help MVP since 2002
Find a Help Authoring Tool at HAT-Matrix.com ~ http://hat-matrix.com
Co-author of "Managing Virtual Teams" ~ http://www.wordware.com/wiki
AuthorIT Certified Consultant, Development, and Training
STC Secretary, 2006-2010
Web site Hosting and Design ~ http://www.jtfhosting.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/