RE: And since were on about snagit today, here's an easier way totweet with snagit;

Subject: RE: And since were on about snagit today, here's an easier way totweet with snagit;
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 14:04:04 -0500

Peter Neilson like, totally, opened a can of wigglers with:

>Does anyone other than high-school students have any
>use for txting on a cell phone?

OMG, I would so TOTALLY DIE without texting!!!11!!!ELEVEN!!!!!

It combines the immediacy and low-annoyance of email with the
portability of the phone. I'm looking at 40 through the wrong end of the
telescope (in an attempt to make it look farther away), and yet I could
practically turn off the calling capabilities of my (beloved Apple)
phone and hardly notice. Text is my preferred medium.

I am also fairly addicted to Facebook and Livejournal. Facebook allows
me to be in contact with people going back 30 years and to share
recipes, various silliness, the occasional Deep Thought, and dumb photos
of my pets. I also maintain communities there for various projects,
organizations, and so on. Livejournal allows me to wax eloquent about
whatever is on my mind (quantum realities, a really bad migraine and its
emotional aftermath, a photo I took recently, and a festival I'm
planning, according to some recent posts), and to talk with people of
similar interests (Alan Moore, goth DJing, roller derby, and yes,
technical writing) whom I would not have met otherwise. I have MySpace
accounts (2) but mostly hate it. It's all ego-driven, yes. Such is life.
I'd rather use Facebook to fulfill my ego than sprinkle it all over some
listserv.

Twitter, so far, has failed to grab me. I'm pretty sure this is because
it's really for old people (kidding). In reality, if a need arises for
it, I'll use it, but I prefer the twitter-like aspects of Facebook as
well as the additional features there. But then, I took a little while
to warm up to FB. I signed up as soon as it was opened up to
non-students, but I think it took the 100th monkey to get an account
before I latched on.

My point is that we use these things for different purposes. There's no
inherent good or bad (or evil or awesome) to be found in the technology.
It's just in how we use it. If someone has found a way to use any of
these tools for technical communication, more power to them. Complaining
that they seem worthless to you makes you sound like a luddite. I'm sure
the invention of the pen was an affront to some tech writer out there
who seriously believed that if you didn't carve the directions to how to
mummify cats into granite, it wouldn't seem important enough.

Sincerely,
Madelyn Boudreaux

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/