Re: I'm now blogging about Agile & TW

Subject: Re: I'm now blogging about Agile & TW
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 10:29:08 -0800

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com> wrote:
> My second was, you call that disorganized mess Agile?

A writer friend shared his process for writing short stories and books:
1) Throw all your reference information to cover every available
surface area (floors ok).
2) Gradually sift through the material.
3) Write.

He's only missing the idea of the audience and user story/feature, but
I think that sums up agile pretty well to the uninitiated. ;^)

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp128 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:
> www.agilemanifesto.org (The "project documentation" referred to means specs.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development
>
>Obviously, there are issues as well as advantages in applying a software
>development methodology to documentation...If you choose not to use
>the tools, that's OK, but know what you're accepting or rejecting.

That goes without saying. Keep an open mind because you might let in
something that works. Another friend advertises on his website: "Don't
have a physical product? If you have reasonable specs, we can write
you reasonable docs."

This is common in industries where product development and
documentation need to happen concurrently to match release cycles.

More links:
STC CWC presentation on Tech Docs going agile is online:
http://cli.gs/ZQA4Gd

Seven Years Later: What the Agile Manifesto Left Out:
http://cli.gs/EQa51a

There may be an updated "8 years later".

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/