Re: word of the day

Subject: Re: word of the day
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 15:42:05 -0800

Kevin:

<topic relevant="off">
You used GEM desktop? I loved using the drawing program on my amber
monitor. I think I even drew some pretty cool pictures of DareDevil
with it, exported them to PCX, then imported them into PageMaker
running on Windows 2.11 runtime. Those were the days.

I also switched to Mac, because they're "built to standards that don't
even exist yet". LOL. I'm finding that there are enough things about
it that irk me. Then I realize it's not because it's a Mac (or for the
"other domain" a PC), but because it's not human. When my (young)
children are rebellious, their defiance possess a thread of cuteness
that shows me that their ignorance of my instructions is by conscious
choice and not a system malfunction.

WinXP explorer taking several seconds to open a folder, or Apple Time
Machine being unable to find the backup volume I'm presently logged
into don't possess that same cuteness. But I've come to expect less of
computers and more from people.
</topic>

So back to your original question. Thanks Mike for linking to the page
on interactive shells. I was wondering how to write something like
this in *nix. In addition to "interactive shell", I guess you could
also call it a text-based (as opposed to a web-based) menu interface.

However, for the purpose of documenting the interface, I would just
state that the system waits for input when a command is chosen. I'd
follow with "acceptable parameters include"... and the like.

Cheers,

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/