RE: Online documentation platforms

Subject: RE: Online documentation platforms
From: "Ed" <hamonwry12 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "'Craig Haiss'" <craighaiss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:16:39 -0500

A few weeks ago, I attended DrupalCampNYC, which was a conference for the
Drupal (www.drupal.org) web framework/content management system. I went to
learn Drupal for web design and development, but someone showed off their
site that used the glossary module (http://drupal.org/project/glossary), and
my mind went right to documentation.

There seems to be a huge potential for using web CMS for documentation.
-=Ed.

Behalf
> Of Craig Haiss
> Sent: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:52 AM
> To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: Re: Online documentation platforms
>
> Based on my experiences as a blogger, I have a hunch that WordPress or any
> similar blogging/CMS tool would make an excellent content management
system
> for online documentation.
>
> Blogging tools have simple publishing interfaces that would allow writers
> focus on content instead of non-essential HATT features. Also, the built
in
> search present in most blogs gives users the ability to navigate in a
familiar
> way. (The use of a TOC or index for online documentation seems to be
> declining.)
>
> WordPress may lack some of the customization options writers would need
for
> tasks like single-sourcing (although it might work since many blogging
tools
> turn posts into XML), but often expensive HATTs are filled with features
that
> writers don't need.
>
> I'd definitely be willing to give WordPress or another blogging tool a try
if
> it seemed to fit the job. Compared to the headaches involed in working
with a
> HATT, mastering tricky features, installing updates, etc. it would
probably be
> a relief to work with a simple blogging platform installed on someone
else's
> server.
>
> Craig Haiss
> Blog: http://www.helpscribe.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/