RE: Editing a PDF

Subject: RE: Editing a PDF
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Heidi Glick <glick -dot- heidi -at- gmail -dot- com>, Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:42:40 -0500

Heidi Glick offered:

> First, I agree that everyone should know where source files
> are located.

Gets a little tough when you are effectively a "lone writer"
of customer technical docs reporting to one Engineering silo
in a company of perhaps 1500 souls, scattered across four
continents (might be five, now), where other Engineering
departments have their own captive writers, but none of us
is associated with the Marketing Department (that lives a
thousand miles from my office), and it was a marketer who
created the original document.

There might even have _been_ another Marketing wonk who
knew where the originator's source files were located,
but we'd have spent more time finding him/her than just
tossing the thing at Kevin and telling him to fix it.

:-)_

> Second, Nuance makes a pdf convertor-
> http://www.nuance.com/imaging/products/pdfconverter.asp.

I saw mention of it while Googling for extended help after
the Acrobat Help left me high and dry. I'll look into it.
Have you used it?

Anybody else can report on how well it works?

> Third, you mention that you used the "text edits" tool. Did
> you also try
> the "touch up text tool." You can select text using that
> tool and then delete it.

Yeah. The problem, on that second page (where the trouble
started... buaaaaaahahahahahahahaaaaaaa... ) was in selecting.
Acrobat couldn't work with it as text no matter what tool was
used to select it.
" Accumulated text within the attempted selection area is rotated other than horizontal or vertical. TouchUp cannot create a text selection."

Of course, the text in question was in a narrow right-hand
column but was not otherwise "rotated" at all. Go figure.

See my other recent post about how I think PDFs are really
created. :-)

- Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/