RE: Translations and addresses

Subject: RE: Translations and addresses
From: "Boudreaux, Madelyn (GE Healthcare, consultant)" <MadelynBoudreaux -at- ge -dot- com>
To: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:23:01 -0500

Richard Combs made fun of me with:

>Translate the name for France into French: "France"
>No, wait! Leave it in English: "France"

Heh.

No, but seriously: these are not just translated into French. They are
translated into 28 languages, not all of them using the same alphabet.
In practice, I've gotten them translated or, presumably, transliterated
(in Russian, Greek, Korean, etc.) I've seen them both translated in a
number of different ways, from Greek letters that spelled out the
3-letter acronym for USA to a complete translation of "The Republic of
France" in Czech. I've had them all changed back to U.S.A. and France,
up until now, but if there's a genuine standard I should follow, I'd
love to know.

Also, including the addresses as written -- that is, with the country
included in the address, is required per regulatory standards.

I like Fred's answer, but I'm not sure I can make a case on that basis
alone. I need to tell them "Do this," or "Do that," and I have to
justify it.

- Madelyn

PS: Fred, my spleen says it wasn't involved in the original argument,
and went back to trying to vent itself through bad poetry.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com