Question on Naming

Subject: Question on Naming
From: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:16:58 -0800

I have a new product that has tabs and items underneath the tabs. It is
a collapsible explorer area with a main display on the right. The
explorer area may look below:

My things (collapsible bar/tab)
Things
Look up things

Other things (collapsible bar/tab)
These things
More things

Do these things (collapsible bar/tab)
Plain things
Really plain things

The tab/bar titles are groups of items that have common actions. They
refer to screens in the application and what you do in the application.
I explain the group with the name of the tab. Eg.. What is the My Things
Tab?, What is the Other Things Tab?

The help topic explains what the tab contains and does. The things under
the tab I call "Action Items" because they do things, they do actions in
the application. Eg., What is the Things Action Item?, What is the Look
Up Things Action Item?

Each one of the "Action Items" refers to a screen in the application and
what you can do. But, I don't like referring to "screen." Eg., What is
the Things Screen?, What is the Look Up Things Screen? Or, What is
Things?, What is Look Up Things?

How confusing is it to a user to use "Action Item" instead of "Screen"?
Or just leave screen off?

Action Item is a new thought or idea that they are not used to as a
standard. If I use it, do you think they will become comfortable with it?

Thanks,

--
Robert Courtney
Technical Writer