Good authoring tool for multiple formats

Subject: Good authoring tool for multiple formats
From: Justin Kelley <jkthiel36 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 07:13:27 -0800 (PST)

I was wondering what authoring tool other writers/groups are using out in the marketplace for a situation similar to my group's. We produce html source files for a server-side scripting application; we're currently using appweb, although I believe we are changing to apache. Our team wants to produce both html (webhelp) output and pdf, and possibly other formats. What authoring tool would fill the bill here? I'm looking at Xmetal and xmlOxygen. My development team has asked that we try to find a tool that can allow scripting so we could produce localized versions of the help very quickly. One of the developers asked that we find a Python-based scripting tool that could produce PDFs. Do any of the tools I've mentioned allow this? Is Madcap Flare a possibility? We even started looking at FLOSS, although since it's open source, we're not sure about the support for it.

Appreciate any feedback,

Regards,

Justin Kelley

http://www.doctohelp.com/