Re: Hyperlinks in PDF -- should they be visible or not?

Subject: Re: Hyperlinks in PDF -- should they be visible or not?
From: Leslie Turriff <jlturriff -at- centurytel -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 18:55:14 -0600

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 09:36:32 Combs, Richard wrote:

> I'm 100% with David on this, for all the reasons he mentioned. You're
> giving people a PDF, not a printed book; name it what you want, some of
> them will open the PDF. The others will print it on their office printer
> and be totally unsurprised and unbothered to see links, just like they
> see in countless other things they print from their computer.
>
> And why would you omit the index from the "official" online-viewing
> version? Believe it or not, there are still people who find a
> well-crafted index, which contains terms not found in the text, more
> useful than search. Don't tell me including the index "looks wrong." ;-)

When I'm reading documentation (whether hardcopy or screened, I find that
an Index is very useful, especially when a text search does not turn up
the information I'm looking for; with the index I can sort of
free-associate and find another term for the expression I'm looking for.

Leslie

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com