RE: Capitalization in lists

Subject: RE: Capitalization in lists
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Wade Courtney <wade -dot- courtney -at- gmail -dot- com>, "dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:31:21 -0500

Wade Courtney offered:

> If I recall correctly, it's mostly a style issue unless the
> list items are
> complete sentences. The key is consistency. So pick a style
> and stick with it.

> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 8:55 AM, Deborah Hemstreet <
> dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Is there a definitive methodology for capitalizing the
> first word in lists?
> >
> > For example,
> >
> > This is used to
> > 1. eat a cat
> > 2. kill a mouse, or
> > 3. ride a horse.
> >
> > vs
> >
> > This is used for:
> > 1. eating cats.
> > 2. killing mice.
> > 3. riding horses.
> >
> > vs.
> >
> > Use this to:
> > 1. Eat a cat
> > 2. Kill a mouse
> > 3. Ride a horse
> >
> > -------------------------------
> >
> > Are all of the above correct? My mind has gone blank....

The problems usually arise when _some_ of the list items
are/could-be complete sentences, while others are not.

So, re-cast to match whatever style you've chosen for your
document.

I formerly liked starting a list with a phrase and colon,
and then completing the sentence in each list item (where
I ended up using semi-colons to end each item and a period
for the final one). But I got myself into trouble so many
times that I've generally gone to fully punctuated sentences
for each list item. It adds some redundancy, but it
certainly saves your bacon when one or more items needs a
second sentence to complete the thought.

Of course, my list items are rarely three-word phrases (or
sentences). Usually lots more words needed per item. :-)

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com