Re: Your typographic conventions and justification for

Subject: Re: Your typographic conventions and justification for
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:32:30 -0800

I don't think there's any such thing as a "Gene Kim-Eng typographic convention"
that you can use as breadcrumbs to track my movement from company to company
over the years.

If I'm coming into a new place with established templates and styles, I stick to
whatever's already in use that hasn't been exploding in peoples' systems or
causing other problems and devote most of my template time to fixing stuff under
the hood to make things run smoothly.

If I'm starting with a blank screen in a really new place, the operative rule is
to keep things simple. One serif font, one non-serif font, one fixed font for
code strings, with varying sizes, boldness, italics and colors for same. I try
to sync the look and feel of user docs with whatever marketing materials the
company has successfully used to advance itself to the point where it could
afford to hire someone to do its technical documentation.

Gene Kim-Eng