RE: Labels on forms: Abbreviate or use symbols?

Subject: RE: Labels on forms: Abbreviate or use symbols?
From: Viv Crawford <viv_crawford -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:41:27 +0000

In the UK it's called a hash sign and isn't (or is rarely) used to indicate a number. No. is much more commonly used.

But that was only one example you gave...

My own pet hate is where multi-word labels are shortened to the point of incomprehensibility. To my mind, calling a field 'Patient Number' and consistently labelling it as such is preferable to calling it, perhaps more precisely, 'Patient Account Number' and then abbreviating that to 'Pat Acct #' whenever it's referred to.

If it *must* be called 'Patient Account Number' then I'm for rearranging the form to make room for the label in its entirety.

But that's only an opinion and I have no evidence whatsoever to back it up :)

Viv

> From: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
> To: Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com; cmagadieu -at- gmail -dot- com; techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
> Subject: RE: Labels on forms: Abbreviate or use symbols?
> Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:15:58 -0500
>
> To follow what Leonard was saying....the number sign "#" we all use is
> really called an "octothorpe." However, it's a lot easier to say "number
> sign," unless you're deep in the middle of a trivia game and you're
> loosing....
>
> Al Geist
> Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
> Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
> Cell: 802-578-3964
> E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
> Website: www.geistassociates.com
> See Also:
> Fine Art Photography
> Website: www.geistarts.com
>
> "...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
> without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
> day." (Sy Safransky)

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com