Re: RE: Subwindow name?

Subject: Re: RE: Subwindow name?
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:33:40 -0600 (CST)

Dan says:

>#37 on my list of TW dislikes: documenting from screen captures instead
>of the actual app.

I should clarify. I am editing a Quick-start Guide that was derived from the User's Guide. I didn't write either and don't have access to the software. I don't know if the software was available to the writer of the original documents.

Reviewers have added a detail to the Quick-start Guide; the topic is described in full in the User's Guide, and they want a cross-reference to the UG. I agree. Therefore, I need to make a cross-reference to a particular screen that is documented in the User's Guide. My original question was about what to call (in a cross-reference) a window that had a main title, which remained consistent over several windows, and a subtitle, which was unique.

The passages in the UG don't need to refer to the screen shots by title because the text and figures flow smoothly together, so that writer never referred to the window titles. So, I have to, for the window that is the target of the cross-ref.

By the way, I went with the format several people suggested, Main Title - colon - Subtitle, as in "Hardware Setup:Plugging In the Toaster."

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com