AW: CMS? Web site? WordPress?

Subject: AW: CMS? Web site? WordPress?
From: "Christine Leisgen" <Christine -dot- Leisgen -at- gmgcolor -dot- com>
To: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:31:28 +0100

Dear Rob,

I am webmaster of a smaller website for a non-commercial organization.

The first version of the website was hand-made, in a text editor. First of all, you would need quite a lot HTML and CSS knowledge to do this, second, updating links is a pain in the ass, third, this approach does not work if multiple people are involved.

Now, I am using a Joomla! (open source CMS) based site, and I think this is a great CMS for smaller or medium websites. I made my own design template from scratch, but you will find plenty of free templates that you might be able to customize a bit. There are hundreds of plugins that enable you to add new features such as a calendar, a blog, or an image database. You can assign user rights such as the permission to edit pages or to create new pages. Of course, it needs some time to get into it and set up the website, but I think it is worth the effort and saves time for maintenance.

In our company, we use Typo3, but I cannot recommend this for smaller or medium websites. The UI is a bit old-fashioned and it is quite complicated to use.

Best regards, Christine

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com