Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?

Subject: Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, Rob Hudson <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:55:54 +0200

Rob,

I agree with others that doing a roll-your-own website would be an
exercise in wheel reinvention--and the result is unlikely to be as
good as with one of the solutions existing already.

Among the various potential solutions presented, WordPress would
probably be the easiest from the standpoint of both site creation and
administration.

At present, you'd probably want to use WordPressMU (for "multi user"),
since it is designed for multiple blogs from the get-go. When version
3.0 is released within the next few months, the distinction between
WordPress and WordPress MU will cease to exist--the multi-user
features are being folded into the single product.

You can also incorporate forums and social networking features, and
there are several thousand plug-ins to add functionality if you wish
to use any of them. You simply don't have to reinvent the wheel.

It is also somewhat easier to set up and administer than are most
other alternanatives such as Drupal.

Depending upon the theme you select, too, it can look like just about
anything you wish--there are magazine format themes, for instance, in
which blogs would "live" in subdirectories. There are also some
incredibly flexible themes, both free and (usually) low cost to make
life easier.

Finally, WordPress is so popular that there are extensive resources
for learning and sharing, making your job that much simpler when and
if you run into any problems or questions.

David

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com