Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?

Subject: Re: CMS? Web site? WordPress?
From: Mike McCallister <workingwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:56:08 -0500

As of Feb 23:
http://wordpress.org/development/2010/02/menus-merge-patch-sprint/

"It was announced at WordCamp San Francisco last year that WordPress and
> WordPress MU would be merging codebases. This has now happened in 3.0-alpha,
> and we’re working on smashing bugs and tidying up a few screens. If you’re
> currently using a single install of WordPress, when you upgrade to 3.0 you
> won’t see any of the extra screens associated with running a network of
> sites. If you’re currently running MU, when you upgrade you’ll notice a few
> labels changing, but upgrading should be as painless as usual. If you’re
> going to set up a new WordPress installation, you’ll be asked as part of the
> setup if you want one site or multiple sites, so that’s pretty simple. If
> you want to turn your single install into one that supports multiple sites,
> we’ll have a tool for you to use to do that, too. So if you’ve been worried
> about the merge, have a cup of chamomile tea and relax; it will all be
> fine."

So you might need the special tool to convert the single install to multiple
sites, but the OP should still be fine starting out with v2.9.2.

Mike McCallister
Now available: "WordPress in Depth" (with Bud Smith)
Author, "openSUSE Linux Unleashed"
Notes from the Metaverse: http://metaverse.wordpress.com

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com