Re: Uninstall or remove? (software)

Subject: Re: Uninstall or remove? (software)
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 12:09:59 -0700

If it's any help, MSTP recommends using Remove, Uninstall, or Deinstall,
depending on the user interface. I assume they must have inherited legacy
interfaces through numerous acquisitions. Remove is preferred, I've never
heard of Deinstall, and I'm more comfortable with Uninstall as Keith says.

I'm willing to bet that MS recommends "Remove" because they know the rarity
of truly clean Uninstalls. I've noticed that even after I switched to Mac,
OS X still keeps settings and header information for applications I've long
removed.

Almost makes me want to set up virtual instances for everything.

-T

--
Tony Chung: Creative Communications
Cell: +1-604-710-5164