Re: What do you call something?

Subject: Re: What do you call something?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TechWhirl List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, info -at- spectrumwritingllc -dot- com
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 13:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

In the documentation, are these things part of cartoons cartoons?

If it's part of some kind of drawing, what's wrong with using the word "callout?" It sounds to me like essentially the same thing.

If the item is not part of a figure or illustration, I'd call it a "notice" or "alert" or "tip" or something like that. It serves the same purpose.

I suggest, if you haven't already, insert a page somewhere near the start of the doc that gives examples and illustrations of such special-purpose items, along with typeface differences used. I usually do that under the heading "Symbols" or "Typographical Conventions."