Re: AW: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?

Subject: Re: AW: How do hiring companies view TW resumes?
From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: KevinMcLauchlan <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>, Christine Leisgen <Christine -dot- Leisgen -at- gmgcolor -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:02:34 -0700 (PDT)

A survey would be useful in quantifying the effect of documentation only if the customers indicate how much of their buying decision is based on documentation. If they tell you something like, 20% of their decision to buy your product instead of a competitor's was because your docs were better, then 20% of the purchase amount is to the credit of the docs group.

On design documents such as use cases or requirement docs, here's an idea: the cost of bugs can be quantified as the payroll cost of the rework time needed to fix them. Some of those bugs will result not from programming or database mistakes, but from the design docs not being followed properly. Those are what I call procedure-fail bugs. Sift the bug reports and identify the procedure-fail bugs. Then claim that if the docs had been read and followed in the first place, the company could have saved the rework costs of those procedure-fail bugs.

On a slightly less serious note: I always figured there is one way to provide numbers that exactly quantify documentation's effect on the bottom line. Have the sales people spend one quarter flogging the newest version of the software. Have them tell the customers that the new UI is designed to be so user friendly, so intuitive, that the company isn't bothering to provide any documentation - no online help, no user manuals, no startup guides...At the end of the quarter, compare the sales figures to previous quarters.