RE: Handy resource when you need a specific character (em dash, en dash, ...)

Subject: RE: Handy resource when you need a specific character (em dash, en dash, ...)
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:08:46 -0400

David Castro wrote:

> I was using a new tool the other day that doesn't have a Special Character
> feature like Word and FrameMaker do, and needed to put in an en-dash. I
> don't know the ALT+#### command for en-dash by heart just yet. I was able to
> find the code using Google, but just today found another resource that makes
> it really easy to copy and paste special characters into your documents:
> http://www.copypastecharacter.com/
>
> It displays a slew of special characters in 72 point type. When you click
> one, it copies it to your clipboard, and then you can paste it into your
> document. Very handy!

There's always the Windows Character Map tool, which is a standard feature of all Windows distributions at least through Windows XP (I've somehow avoided Vista and haven't used Windows 7 yet). It should be right there in the System Tools subgroup under Accessories in the the programs list. If not, you can install it from files that are already on your system by using the Add/Remove Windows Components option of the Add or Remove Programs tool. It may not be as fancy as some of the 3rd party tools, but it gets the job done for me.

-Fred Ridder

- Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
- Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -