Re: Doc version control - in-house

Subject: Re: Doc version control - in-house
From: kafkascampi <kafkascampi -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:10:52 -0700

Caveat: I work for an online PLM app (Arena). Ours is aimed at
small-to-medium businesses while Agile is for the monster companies.

Ours is a subscription-based model for BOM and Change Management. A lot of
our customers do use it for Doc Control, and our file management is quite
robust. Users can make a file an "item", thereby applying revision control.
And you can choose to enforce Change Control at the In Design or In
Production stage of the item lifecycle--setting up Change Control Boards for
approval of new revisions.

Agile works in very much the same way, but their online offering was shelved
when Oracle bought them. I believe they are bringing it back now.

Sorry for any perceived plugging--feel free to contact me off list if you
want any more PLM info.

Chris