RE: Google Chrome not working with WebHelp ?

Subject: RE: Google Chrome not working with WebHelp ?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 13:56:04 -0400

Tony, there's nothing wrong with what you said, but the
words you attribute to me - though uttered by me - were
quoted out of context. IN context, they carry a different
meaning.

The point of the whole message was that solutions like
yours address the tip of the iceberg... new purchasers.
As I said, the large, large percentage of my WebHelp users
are people who have already bought our product over the
past six years or so (the time I stopped using PDF'd
documents and went to WebHelp for all my product lines).

That means the vast majority of MY WebHelp stuff is out
there beyond my reach. I _can't_ add in some kind of
message to the customer that will retroactively reach
them. I never thought of this problem situation happening
until just this past week.

You might have a good idea for an approach "going forward"
(ouch! I hurt myself writing that biz-bumpf phrase). . .
except, do we know for sure that WebHelp OUTPUT can be
configured to present such a page regardless of the
actual reason (browser change) that the main help pages
can't be shown? I mean, if we figure out a way to
address the current breakage for one browser - a browser
that's going to have the problem fixed within days or
weeks - does that solution also work for problems we
have not even encountered yet?

My audience is still accustomed to glancing at a readme
file when things don't go according to plan.

My readme.txt tends to be very short. Most issues and
notes go into my Release Notes - a separate document -
leaving readme.txt as a minimalist alert/pointer.

-l.com [mailto:techwr-l-bounces+kevin.mclauchlan=safenet-> inc -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com] On Behalf Of Tony Chung
> Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:31 PM
> To: TECHWR-L Writing
> Subject: Re: Google Chrome not working with WebHelp ?
>
> On 6/10/10, McLauchlan, Kevin
> <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> > Chrome works for everything else, and WebHelp isn't working,
> > so it must be the WebHelp that's busted.
>

> Technically, it doesn't matter where in the chain the help is busted.
> Current web sites test for feature-compliance, not browser versions,
> and provide either a nicely degraded option or a warning message to
> use a compatible browser. You could provide a list that have already
> been tested and works.
>
> The benefit of this advice proffered directly within the page/help
> system itself is that it provides the user with proper direction
> rather than just crapping out. While it's true the user could look at
> the readme file, odds are they won't. Prideful users will fight the
> webhelp issue thinking it's their problem to fix.
>
> But that said, I don't know how easy it would be to implement this
> system in a webhelp file. I just know how I'd choose to address the
> problem.
>
> -T
>
> Gain access to everything you need to create and publish
> documentation,
> manuals, and other information through multiple channels. Choose
> authoring (and import) as well as virtually any output you may need.
> http://www.doctohelp.com/
>

> - Use this space to communicate with TECHWR-L readers -
> - Contact admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com for more information -
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as
> kevin -dot- mclauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kevin.mclau
chlan%40safenet-inc.com

> The information contained in this electronic mail transmission
or disclosing it.