Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...

Subject: Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 16:55:31 +1000

On 23/06/10 04:39 PM, Lauren wrote:

> I think this discussion would be easier with an example of "expectation"
> used in documentation. I used my email program as an example because it
> is what I had open and it was convenient for explaining my thought
> process about how a system can "expect" something. When I think of
> system "expecting" certain data or data within a certain range, I think
> that there must be a background process performed after a system waits a
> certain time, like email saves, or there is a rejection of non-compliant
> data. I guess I am defending anthropomorphism of computer systems in a
> case where a computer system does demonstrate something akin to
> "expectation" and there is no better way to describe what is happening
> without making the documentation too high level, yet I do not have an
> example of such a case.

I'll be glad to discuss this further if you
do come up with an example other than the
one to which I responded. I gather that you
did not comment on my response because you
decided that the example you provided was
not really what you meant after all.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Oracle has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com | this message is the return address

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/