Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...

Subject: Re: Anthropomorphism is bad because...
From: Janice Gelb <janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 08:19:59 +1000

On Jun 24, 2010 5:41AM, Lauren wrote:

> Actually, Janice, I was using an abstract example to illustrate my
> position. You seem to have a strict adherence to a requirement of
> concrete examples that makes abstract discussions nearly impossible. I
> felt that a simple example of an email program, that we should all
> understand, could illustrate, by way of abstraction, the concepts in
> complex systems for the purposes of discussion.

And I responded with my reasons why I did
not think that your illustration proved the
necessity for using anthropomorphic terminology.
If you did not want that example to be a topic
for discussion, I'm not sure why you provided it.

> A system that processes data until a certain requirement for new data is
> triggered possesses some void of a requirement of data. What is that
> void called? The void is most certainly not "requirement" as a
> requirement cannot trigger itself. The void is also not a "wait state"
> since waiting is only part of the void between trigger and requirement.

Why do you have to discuss the void at all?
Is there any value to the user in talking
about this in-between state?

> My lack of a concrete example does not negate the validity of my
> discussion. Unless you are willing to discuss abstract concepts, or
> there is not a concrete example that satisfies your needs for continuing
> the discussion, no discussion may continue between us.

I am happy to discuss this concept. However,
we are dealing with something concrete, that
is, how to write about systems clearly and
with value to the user without imputing
incorrect and misleading human characteristics
to inanimate and non-cognitive machines. Without
concrete examples, it is difficult to discuss
how exactly to formulate such writing.

If you have moved on to discussing how computers
function in comparison to human behavior without
any relation to how to write about such functionality,
then you're right that I'm not particularly
interested in such a discussion.

-- Janice

Janice Gelb | The only connection Oracle has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- oracle -dot- com | this message is the return address

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/