Re: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010

Subject: Re: The Top 10 Best Technical Documentation Sites of 2010
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:33:46 -0400

On Jul 1, 2010, at 4:09 PM, Combs, Richard wrote:

> Good advice. But there's a solution for the shortened-link problem. Go to www.longurlplease.com/ and grab either the Firefox extension or the bookmarklet. The latter should work in most browsers.
>
> I learned about Long URL Please from a Maximum PC article, which describes 31 other bookmarklets that you might find useful and/or cool. Check it out: http://www.maximumpc.com/bookmarklets

Thanks, Richard. That looks like a great extension to get around my original objection...

I still dislike shortened URLs. If a longer link is broken by an email program, it's a bug, and shorter URL services are just workarounds until either the sender's or recipient's email software is fixed. I have some sympathy for the "they're ugly" school of thought, but I'll take informative URLs over attractive ones with mystery destinations any day. But if this extension works out, I guess I don't have to care anymore.

Thanks,
Mike

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/