Re: Mac vs PC users

Subject: Re: Mac vs PC users
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:14:36 -0700

As for multiple ways to do the same thing and keystoke combos that match,
this is also true of Windows (and has been since day one); flexibility is
not a Mac-centric idea.

For good rea$on, I'm a Ford driver (Z-plan discount). I can step into just
about any Ford and intuit how to operate windshield wipers, stero systems
and climate control. Now I'm at the airport and Avis has deemed fit to put
me into a Hyundai. Frustrated at first, I soon figure out how to make things
work. That said, I'm the type—as are most Techwhirlers, I would guess—who'll
twiddle with things to get them to work, feeling reasonably assured that we
won't completely bork the system. Well, not usually, anyway.

Now consider my techno-challenged wife. If she's the renter, she'll never
grasp any of the aforementioned controls unless someone shows her. If it's
not immediately obvious to her, e.g., an on/off switch, she will not proceed
any further (this drives my nuts, as I've repeatedly explained it's unlikely
she'll render X wholly inoperable for all eternity).

So which auto interface is easier? Neither; they're both different, that's
all. What broad-stroke judgment can I make about Ford v. Hyundai owners or
their respective drivers? The answer is none. And I could probably make a
case that smarter people drive 10-year-old Toyotas that see regular
maintenance, as opposed to those who lease a brand new Mercedes every year.

> Chris

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/