Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler

Subject: Re: Certification: Ernest and Scribbler
From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:48:43 -0500

Well I'm going to pitch a spanner in the works... I think the
certification by evaluation approach was the wrong approach to take. I'll
admit to not having paid attention during the period when this was being
considered.

However, my thinking was that certification and the STC project to develop
a "Body of Knowledge" were joined at the hip and that certification
wouldn't become possible until the BOK was fully developed and released. I
thought that at that point, STC would be going down the same path as PMI
which bases PMP certification on testing of applicant's understanding of
their BOK.

Now I don't doubt for a minute that developing a comprehensive BOK for
technical communication is a massive undertaking but having that BOK in
place would give STC certification an imprimatur that certification by
evaluation couldn't possibly achieve.

Mike

On Tue, July 20, 2010 9:27 am, Bill Swallow wrote:
>> Thanks, Bill. It also appears to be easy to come up with what ya think
>> is the way it is going to be done with absolutely no facts to back it
>> up, then be sure that the process will suck, is unfair, and
>> unrealiistic.
>>
>> Steve spoke on this issue at my last chapter meeting in NY, I was on
>> the STC task force for awhile, and I'm still willing to wait until
>> there are actualy some facts available before passing judgement.
>
> Right. I'm reserving actual judgement as well. The idea has merit as
> outlined, so it only makes sense to let things flesh out a bit. I was
> at the Summit when Steve Jong first presented the Board approval and
> the outline, and I liked what I saw. Not that I like the idea of
> certification and I think the plan will work, but I like that the
> approach is well reasoned and the criteria so far appears to be fairly
> solid. We'll know more as things develop.
>
> --
> Bill Swallow

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/