Re: Into the Cloud (was RE: Missing Windows right-click key)

Subject: Re: Into the Cloud (was RE: Missing Windows right-click key)
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 00:08:05 -0700

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 11:39 AM, McLauchlan, Kevin
<Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> I'd be interested to know how many people in the list
> (OK, how many who have 'voices', and aren't in perma-lurk)
> are in situations/companies where they would even be
> _allowed_ to engage cloud services and resources.

None of the companies I've worked for would engage in cloud-based
services. A software engineer in my last job was stoked about Google
Docs (frankly, I'm excited about the collaborative potential), but the
fact security depends on Google doesn't thrill a lot of people who run
these types of companies.

Enter Microsoft. The collaborative potential of Sharepoint 2010 looks
promising. At our organization it's too costly to leverage that
toolset, but more progressive companies may take advantage of the
real-time collaborative editing "like" a cloud, only using Sharepoint
services to stay behind the company's firewall.

Love 'em or hate 'em, I'd choose the security of the cloud apps over
an in-house system. They have full teams of people working to secure
their networks, where our three IT staff are running around fighting
fires. That logic doesn't make sense to me.

I hear what you're saying. Heck, I've said what you've said: "What
about unscrupulous employees?" With the amount of data floating
uncontrollably on teh Interwebs, I doubt that anyone could find the
time to make sense of everything they find, let alone for corporate
espionage. But I guess when you're dealing with lots of money....

If it fits into a series of packets and transfers over a series of
wires, vpn, encrypted or not, that data is out there in the open.

Cheers,
-Tony

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/