RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed

Subject: RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Heather Anderson <Heather -dot- Anderson -at- cubrc -dot- org>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:19:43 -0700

Heather Anderson wrote:

> I am working on a document someone half-wrote (I'm pretty much finishing
> it).
> He uses references throughout the document, but has them set like this:
>
> Applications of this system include a broad range of disciplines such as
> engineering [1], writing [2], forecasting [3][4],
>
> (Obviously I've changed the wording to not give out information on the
> document.)
>
> Clicking the numbers leads to the reference section and the reference
> number.
>
> Is this the correct way to do this or is there another more preferred way?

There are a number of standard and countless non-standard ways of handling references. What's the purpose of the document, and who is the audience? Is this document for publication somewhere, or a thesis or paper? If so, you need to follow the standard prescribed by whomever it's going to be submitted to or use the style guide they specify.

Otherwise, if your organization doesn't have an in-house style guide or specify one, this might be a good time to pick one. In the US, the most widely used (outside of journalism) general style guide is the Chicago Manual of Style. The AP Stylebook is used by most newspapers. But instead or in addition, you might want to use a style guide specific to your field. Here's a useful place to start exploring the possibilities:

http://www.onlinestylebooks.com/BySubject.html

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to choose from."
-- Andrew Tanenbaum

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom
303-223-5111
------
rgcombs AT gmailDOTcom
303-903-6372
------

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/