RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed

Subject: RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:16:52 +0300

This is one of the reasons I continue to regret that no one has
created a stylesheet for the free Lyx document processor to create
tech docs easily. Lyx automatically and rapidly renumbers footnotes
when pieces of the doc are rearranged or new material is inserted. One
more thing the writer doesn't have to worry about.

Likewise, Lyx permits you to focus on the writing and let the program
with the associated style handle the formatting issues.

If you happen to have need for something for creating journal
articles, to give one example, many scientific and scholarly journals
have stylesheets already--where was this when I needed to create long
papers in APA style back in my university days, I wonder?

Lyx is based on TeX, so any printed (or .pdf) output is gorgeous. It's
also free, and available on many platforms. www.lyx.org for info.

(Comparing Lyx output to Word's makes more clear the saying that "Word
processors do to words what food processors do to food.")

David

> From: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
> To: JessicaWeissman <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Heather Anderson <Heather -dot- Anderson -at- cubrc -dot- org>
> Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 09:52:15 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed
> You mean the numbering in the references?  That does sound kind of ugly.  Sounds like he kept later on thinking of something he should have mentioned earlier, and going back.  The software of course would number the references in the order in which they were created.
>
> I would advise you to change them, IF you have the time and the higher-priority tasks have been done.  Personal preference again; if I were the reader I'd just rather see the reference numbers in a clean order.  But I think it isn't really *important* unless the document will be seen by customes who are real nitpickers.  Ask yourself if the numbering order may give them a negative impression of you or your company.

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/