RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed

Subject: RE: References in a Word 2007 Document - Advice needed
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <heather -dot- anderson -at- cubrc -dot- org>, <weissmanj -at- abacustech -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:05:10 -0400

Heather Anderson wrote:

> One more issue that's cropping up that I've NEVER seen before - his references are all out of order. After 15, he jumps to 70 and then goes back to 65 in the next paragraph.
>
> Is this acceptable ?

These are references to items in a list of external documents, right? And that list of reference documents is presumably in some logical order (e.g., alphabetical by author or alphabetical by some sort of document ID number if they are standards documents), right. If so, the in-text references will inevitably appear to be out of numerical order.

Reference citations will always be in numerical order if they refer to endnotes that are written to be in the same order as the citations in the text. But if the list came first, it's almost certain that the reference citations will not be in numerical order in the text.

Or am I misinterpreting the situation?

-Fred Ridder

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/