RE: Unicode symbol for CR-LF

Subject: RE: Unicode symbol for CR-LF
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>, <mmaler -at- videotron -dot- ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 09:41:34 -0400

Peter Nielsen wrote:

> The subject is more complicated than your question might suggest. See
> this article for help:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline
>
> Mary Maler wrote:
> > Does anyone offhand know the hex code for the carriage return symbol?
> >
> > WHat I'm looking for is something to indicate this-line-continues-below in a block of code.
> >
> > I knew where to find this in ASCII...

That Wikipedia article is a good discussion of the complicated situation of how to type the non-printing control character for a newline in different OS environments.

But I think what Mary is looking for is exactly the opposite--a *printing* character that indicates a line *continuation* (i.e. that does *not* terminate a ling line in the middle).

In the cases where I've been called upon to do this, I've used character number 191 (0xBF) in the Symbol font, but this approach has two significant shortcomings. First, if the mapping to the Symbol font gets lost for some reason, the character appears as an inverted question mark (the standard mapping for that character number in a text font as opposed to a non-text symbol font). And second, many readers want to be able to copy and paste blocks of code from technical publications rather than having to retype it, and that approach will yield erroneous code if you use a typographic line continuation character.

-Fred Ridder

Gain access to everything you need to create and publish information
through multiple channels. Your choice of authoring (and import)
formats with virtually any output. Try Doc-To-Help free for 30-days.
http://www.doctohelp.com/

LavaCon 2010 in San Diego Sept 29&#8211;Oct 2 is now open for registration.
Use referral code TECHWR-L for $50 off conference tuition!
See program at: http://lavacon.org/