Re: Anyone have an idea?

Subject: Re: Anyone have an idea?
From: Jimmy Breck-McKye <jb527 -at- hotmail -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:34:24 +0100

Or:

* Use '+www', '-www'
* '@WEB', '!WEB'
* '<->@', '</>@'

However, the user would probably find the second, and almost certainly
the third, far too esoteric.

As for OnLn / OffLn, I don't really see what's wrong with 'OnLn'/'OfLn',
except that they look too similar. In fact, they all look quite hard to
distinguish at long ranges.

Assuming online action is the 'default', something like '!Web' whenever
there's a problem should be sufficient. Conversely, 'Web' for a
connection, and nothing for a lack of connection, should the device
normally be used without an internet connection. This way, an 'unusual
status' can be spotted a glance by an experienced user, because a sign
has appeared that is out of place.

But, there are problems. Sure, if your user is an engineer who expects
the machine to work on or offline by default, a 'warning' or 'non
default' sign is fine. But the uninitiated might end up hovering over
the control panel, seeking for a sign they're not even sure will be
displayed.

A better option might be '@web' vs '!WEB', as the different cases (and,
for these letters, quite different glyphs) make the sign easier to spot.
What sort of display is going to be used? LED 'spots'? LCD monochrome?
In what situations is the user going to see this display? What range of
glyphs do you actually have at your disposal? And can these four
characters be stretched over more than one line (eg two above, two below)?